Projection, en tant que réseau et plateforme d’échanges, organise des activités régulières afin de donner l’opportunité à ses membres de discuter, échanger, débattre autour des services essentiels, et finalement apporter au réseau leur expérience et leur expertise.
Every month, Projection organizes a meeting in Paris in order to give its members the opportunity to share their personal and professional views on issues linked to urban basic services in developing countries. Regularly, a senior expert is invited as a “resource” person, to share his or her experience and understanding of the issues he or she faces in his or her field of expertise.
These monthly meetings are a reflection of our network:
- Friendly meetings: the meetings are held avoiding and minimizing formalism as much as possible among the participants as well as between the speaker and the participants. The objective is to make everybody feel free to make relevant contributions with a touch of impertinence, in respect of all.
- Meetings without stonewalling: we ask our speakers not to consider their interventions as “official allocutions” but rather as a sharing of experience, coupled with the will of transmitting ideas and possibly tools to make issues evolve.
Every year, we want to offer the network’s members a several-day meeting allowing them to address a topic in depth and in a more original manner. During these close-to-the-field meetings we get to know better the young professionals from the regions where the meetings take place. Held in the form of debates around documentary films, of speed networking, role plays, trips in the region or of forum theatre, these meetings are an opportunity to deal with basic services in an original and participatory way.
The international meetings mostly take place in Niger or Burkina Faso and, just as in France, enable young professionals from the South to gather around in order to exchange, debate and strengthen their professional network.
Since 2008, Projection has organized:
- A launching workshop in Paris (France), in October 2008,
- An international seminar on liquid sanitation in Niger, in January 2009,
- An international event at the Istanbul World Water Forum in March 2009,
- An international seminar on waste management in medium-size cities, in Burkina Faso, in July 2010,
- Two day long events at the French Development Agency (AFD) in March 2011 and January 2012
Every meeting is synthesized as a report and is accessible to all members on the internet platform.
The principle of a web conference is being able to hold a conference without having to physically gather all participants:
– in the same place: for young professionals from the South in particular, it is a way to participate in our activities from a distance;
– at the same time: young professionals often lack time; the conference, held on 3 weeks duration, gives them more time to think about their contribution and to react to other participants’ comments.
After the theme has been chosen, the 3 weeks dedicated to the debates and members’ contributions give the participants enough time to approach the subject from different angles. The synthesis of each web conference is accessible in the members’ area of Projection’s website.
In 2009, an web conference was held on the theme of waste management. The latest conference was held on September 2011 on small private operators in sanitation services.
In order to feed its database, Projection proposes its members to write collaborative articles on basic services.
The objective is to regularly write a collaborative articles and project cards on a specific theme related to this sector. The articles and project cards are then broadcasted among the network members.
Thus redacted articles are in the image of the exchange taking place within the network: they bring a multiple « field » vision on a particular theme by calling to young professionals from different horizons.